Sunday 28 February 2010

Bloody Polar Bears




We had to eat the huskies on Day 1. Well we didn't HAVE to but they were tasty.

Arctic storm codenamed Reginald continued to reek havoc amongst the Western edges of Scotland. It deposited a staggering 3 flakes of snow in Oban.

The intrepid Sobatamites bravely ventured on across the NW passage to the Island of Mull.

Visibility was difficult due to the driving blizzards.














The Bellachroy was very quiet with about 10 people in at any one time. However Johnny Crackers was noticeable by his absence. He has been replaced by another Johnny - who we will rename Johnny Nasty. As is usual he was very drunk and seemed to be in a perpetual attempt to start a fight with his best friend. The conversation went something like this:-
"I am going to tw*t you"
"See if I care"
"I am going to tw*t you"
"See if I care"
"I am going to tw*t you"
"See if I care"
"I am going to tw*t you"
"See if I care"
"I am going to tw*t you"
"See if I care"
"I am going to tw*t you"
"See if I care"
"I am going to tw*t you"
"See if I care"
"I am going to tw*t you"
"See if I care"
"Johnny you really are a c*** and a nasty drunk when you have been drinking whisky - why don't you have a Budweiser and be a happy drunk?"
"I am going to tw*t you"
"See if I care"
"I am going to tw*t you"
"See if I care"
"I am going to tw*t you"
"See if I care"
At this point Johnny asked the other locals in the pub and the consensus was that he was a c*** and a nasty drunk and should go home. About 2 hours later he did leave the pub but hung around outside waiting for smokers to pick fights with. Poor CAFSNOT was approached but pretended to be a terrified Englishman.

The meagre rations were only able to stretch to Vegetable soup and Fillet Steak and Chips. We were worried that we may not have enough stamina to make it back to base camp.

Day 2. - We decided to eat the sledges. With a Butternut squash puree and a raspberry jus!!!

After CAFSNOT's mobile got a stray signal at 3.30am and delivered 8 messages the Grand Mahout struggled to get back to sleep due to the howling slight breeze outside.

The morning dawned eventually and an early start was in the offing. The roads were really icy with at least 3 glaciers formed on the bunkhouse approach road.

The views were rather special though!

The day was littered with sightings of Penguins, Polar Bears, Narwhals and Arctic Foxes.

Another trip on the icebreaker saw us back on the mainland and, other than a refuelling stop at the Baillieston Morrisons the trip home was uneventful.



But now the real problem - WASHING THE BIKE!!!!

Grand Mahout

1 comment: